Thursday, June 19, 2008

Best Rice Krispie Treats Ever!

I grew up having these every Memorial Day at our picnic in Logan. After visiting the Logan cemetery, our clan would head over to the park for a picnic and playing. One of my cousin's husbands is allergic to eggs, so he'd always be sure to sit by us during the picnic so he had first dibs on the egg-free dessert! When I started school, this was my favorite thing to bring for my birthday treat (back in the day when you could bring home-made treats to hand out at school!) My birthday is the end of May and we only had a swamp cooler when I was in elementary school so I think Mom appreciated not having to turn on the oven to make these! The peanut butter (and milk to wash it down with!) help offset the sugar - so hopefully, you won't fall into a sugar coma!

1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 cups peanut butter (we prefer creamy)
6 cups rice krispies
1 package chocolate chips
1 package butterscotch chips

Combine sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan and heat to rolling boil; stir in peanut butter. In a large bowl combine rice krispies and syrup and fold together until well blended. Press evenly into large shallow pan, about 10x15" (careful, it's hot!).

Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips (the original recipe says over hot water - but I just put them in the microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring between. Once they start to melt, just stirring them usually melts it completely.) Spread chocolate mixture over bars and cool. Cut into squares and enjoy with an ice-cold glass of milk!!

No comments: