Wednesday, November 4, 2009

30 Days of Thanksgiving #4

In August, I had the privilege of joining the Salt Lake Choral Artists. I have loved singing in a choir again! Dr. Allred, our conductor, is brilliant and the music he has picked it wonderful. Our first concert was October 17 and our theme was "Made in America." It's hard to choose a favorite song - but I think I'm going to have to go with Randall Thompson's "The Lord is My Shepherd." Runners-up would be Mack Wilberg's "Deep River" (an ode to altos), Howard Hanson's "The One Hundred Fiftieth Psalm," and Carol Barnett's "Gloria from the World Beloved: A Bluegrass Mass." A couple of our songs have been posted on YouTube.

We're now working on music for our Christmas concert and I am in heaven! Besides the requisite Rutter songs (it's just not Christmas without them!), we're also doing three movements of Rachmaninoff's Vespers - in Russian. I can't begin to tell you how happy it makes me! I am so grateful for good music, the opportunity to sing in this choir, Dr. Allred, and Christmas!

2 comments:

Johnvaljean said...

Your blog is very inspiring, reading about your days of thankfulness have allowed me a chance to reflect on things I truly am grateful for. My prayers go out to the people in need posted on your site, I wish you a happy thanksgiving in this upcoming week and best wishes!

Tawna said...

I found you with the "Next Blog" button. I grew up in the SLC area, and had heard about that Vespers concert. What is more fulfilling than singing with a great choir?