Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I'm leaving on a JetBlue plane...

I think everything is now finalized for my trip to Rochester, NY to visit the Gardners. While the circumstances under which I'm going are not what I would have chosen, I have to admit that I am so excited to see them again.

The Gardners used to live in my neighborhood. We worked in the Primary together and became friends. When Tyler joined their family, I was immediately smitten. Tyler is the sweetest, most loving little boy in the world. I'm a snuggler by nature - I love hugs! - and Tyler completely agrees with my views on the subject. He would just curl up under my chin and snuggle down and we would just sit there loving each other.

A few months after Tyler joined the Gardner family, I started going to a singles ward. I didn't see them as often. I ended up going about three months without seeing Tyler before Emmalee joined their family. When I went over to visit, Tyler was sitting in his baby swing and when he heard my voice he just lifted up his arms for me to pick him up. He immediately snuggled right down in my arms and gave me the biggest, longest hug. It was amazing. He was not even 1 yet, but I know that he totally remembered me and was totally content to just cuddle for awhile. A few months later, Brent and Jodie moved to Arizona. I was heartbroken. Tyler had touched my life and my heart.

Since then, life has brought another move (to Rochester, NY) and another special baby to the Gardner Family. The weekend before New Years, they brought Nate home. The fall and Christmas months were crazy for the Gardners - Nate spent almost four months in the hospital because he was a preemie. I had offered to fly out to help for a bit, but things just didn't ever work out. They were able to settle into a good routine and life was going well. We talked about me maybe flying out during the summer for a visit, but nothing was decided.

And then everything changed. This family was hit with heartbreaking news. Tyler was suddenly diagnosed with leukemia. I can't even imagine what they has been through. I've been heartbroken - and I haven't seen Tyler for almost three years. But Jodie is an amazing woman. Her capacity for compassion and love is incredible. Her strength and perseverance is unlimited. And this family will be stronger through this trial.

And I have the privilege of visiting and offering what little help I can give. I leave the end of this month for almost two weeks. I get to meet Nate, play with Emmalee, renew my friendship with Jodie and Brent, and love Tyler. How lucky am I?

3 comments:

Maria said...

Juli, I am so glad that you found my blog. How did you find it anyway? Of course you can link to my blog, I'm going to link you yours if that's alright. I'm so sorry about your friends and little Tyler. That is so sad. Enjoy your time with them and we will get together when you get back.
Love ya
Maria

Lanna said...

Give them all an extra hug from me!!

sweet mama entropy said...

I am so jealous that you got to go to Rochester (my old stomping grounds). We must discuss what you thought of it.

I'm sorry that the reason for the visit couldn't have been a little happier. But they have some really excellent hospitals in Rochester. I even had a friend of mine in high school who got treated in one (also for leukemia and beat it into remission). They know what they're doing and hopefully, the same will hold true in Tyler's case :)