Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thankful Thursday

Spoiler Alert: In the following post, I discuss details from the Anne of Green Gables series including important plot details. If you haven't read these books (especially the last one, Rilla of Ingleside) and plan on doing so, you might want to skip this post. Fair warning...

I just finished the final book in the Anne of Green Gables series. What a wonderful series of books! The final, eighth book, Rilla of Ingleside, takes place during World War I and is also a beautiful romance. It has prompted so many feelings in me. I cried over Walter - his courage, and beauty. I also cried with joy when Jem came home and was met by faithful Dog Monday. I was proud of Rilla, at how well she grew up and raised her "war-baby." It has also prompted me to ask "where is my Kenneth Ford, my Gilbert Blythe, my Mr. Knightly, or Mr. Darcy? Where is my Prince Charming? That one faithful man who loves me with all his heart? Who fights through a war or typhoid to come back to me, who is willing to patiently teach me to be a better person, who overcomes all obstacles just for the thought of loving me and earning my love in return? I must "keep the faith" as Rilla and "trust to Providence" as Susan and believe that he will come and find me someday.

These books have also highlighted so many things that I am grateful for. I am thankful for good books - for great authors who were willing to share their ideas and talents. I'm thankful for an education and parents who instilled in me a love of reading. I am so thankful that the Fibro-fog has cleared and I've got my brain back! I went through my own "Dark Ages" when the Fibro-fog was so thick that I couldn't swim to the top. I couldn't read because I couldn't focus. I am so thankful that I've come out of that period. I'm thankful for all servicemen of all times who were willing to sacrifice and fight for freedom. I'm so thankful for that freedom that I enjoy now. I'm thankful for my faith to rely on during hard times. There is so much good in the world, so much to be thankful for!

I have several new books I'm looking forward to starting now...the hard part is deciding which one! I recently purchased the second book in the Peter series by Dave Barry. I believe it's Peter and the Shadow Thieves. While purchasing it at Borders, the clerk highly recommended The Lightning Thief. I also have Inkspell to read. My BFF sent me a mystery novel for Christmas that looks intriguing. Angelfish let me borrow North and South and she also gave me Bleak House by Charles Dickens last year for Christmas. Do I go for more juvenile fiction/fantasy? Do I try the classics? (I haven't since I got my brain back...I've been a bit nervous to test it!) So many choices! Actually, I'm thankful for choices! How boring would life be without new things to try and without any choices?

1 comment:

sweet mama entropy said...

Let me know what you think of Peter and the Shadow Thieves and Inkspell when you're finished with them. I've read both.