Monday, January 28, 2008

Tribute

Our beloved Prophet and President of our LDS Church, Gordon Bitner Hinckley, passed away last night (Sunday, January 27, 2008) in his home in Salt Lake City. He was 97. I'm saddened by this loss, but so happy for President Hinckley. He was still going strong to the end (he just rededicated the Salt Lake Capitol Building three weeks ago!) and I know that was a huge blessing for him. I think it would have really hurt him if he couldn't be among his people, doing the Lord's work. I'm also so happy that he has been reunited with his beloved wife, Marjorie Pay Hinckley. I know that he missed her terribly. What a blessing to know that families are forever, and we will be reunited with our loved ones!

I'm not sure what President Hinckley will be remembered for most; whether it will be:
  • temples (there were only 47 temples when he became the Prophet and today there are 124 and 13 more announced or under construction)
  • The Perpetual Education Fund (which offers loans to members in third world countries to further their education so they can support themselves)
  • His 6 Be's (be grateful, smart, clean, true, humble, prayerful)
  • His world travels to visit members of the church (the first President of the Church to visit mainland China and Russia and the Ukraine)
  • His interviews with top, "hardened" newsmen (Mike Wallace and Larry King)
and my personal favorite four:
  • The Proclamation on the Family (visit this site to read)
  • His wit and sense of humor (I think one of the most well-known images or President Hinckley is of him waving his cane to say hello. My mom's favorite was when he said that at his time of life, he didn't buy green bananas. I also heard once that one night after he went bed, his bodyguard heard some noises coming from his bedroom. When he went to check on him, he found President Hinckley walking on his treadmill. When asked what he was doing so late at night, he said that if so many people were praying for him and his health, he felt that he should do his part, so he got up and started walking on the treadmill!)
  • I love how much President Hinckley loved Sister Hinckley
  • The absolute love that surrounded President Hinckley. Whenever he walked into the Conference Center (or any room, I'd imagine, but my experience was only with the Conference Center), the entire room became silent and still. There was such love and respect for him. Whenever he spoke, whenever I even just see a picture of him, I can feel the love that President Hinckley has for me (even though we've never met personally) and for each and every member of the Church, for every person he's ever met, for every one of our Heavenly Father's children. He just radiates love.
I am so grateful for this great man and for his faithfulness and service.

1 comment:

Angelfish said...

I just wanted to add a link to a blog about a tribute they are doing for Pres. Hinckley after the funeral on Saturday.

http://canewavetribute.blogspot.com/

It's very fitting tribute

Love ya!