Monday, May 26, 2008

Time to Play Catch-Up: Part 3 - Tribute to my Aunt Norma 7.27.23 - 4.11.08



My favorite part of going on summer vacation was that it always involved a visit to Aunt Norma and Uncle Al. I remember one summer, they emptied all of these containers they'd been collecting loose change in into our bags. When we went through airport security, the agents thought we were going to Vegas to play the slots - we had bags full of coins! I also remember that one summer, Aunt Norma sent us a bunch of dress-up clothes - fancy dresses, shoes, purses, etc. We had so much fun with them! I remember growing up thinking that I was related to celebrities. Uncle Al had been a stunt man on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Aunt Norma had held the record for deepest dive by a woman! They were famous! That made me feel very cool.

Aunt Norma has also been very supportive of me. When I decided to play the flute in Middle School, I rented a flute that was defective. No matter how much I blew into that thing, no sound would come out! A couple months later, Aunt Norma sent me a flute. I think it used to be Laura's. I felt so special that Aunt Norma sent me my flute. Aunt Norma and Uncle Al would also try to meet me when I was in California on Choir Tour in High School. They would figure out how to meet during my free time and take me out to dinner. I was usually pretty homesick by that time, and the chance to see family made such a huge difference!

Aunt Norma was always thinking of others. She would always send oranges for my Grandma Donna home with anyone that came to visit her during orange season.

Aunt Norma has a great sense of humor. I remember going to Bill and Michelle's wedding reception and Aunt Norma taught us kids how to pull the middle out of the strawberries so we could stick them on our fingers like olives! She was always eager to hear our jokes and was a great audience. I've also heard stories about the time she pulled out her prosthetic boob and passed it around for her brothers to feel!

Along with my Grandma Donna, one of my favorite memories of Aunt Norma was when she surprised Donna for her 80th birthday. It was so fun to have her show up on my Grandma's doorstep wearing a mask - "A Masked Marvel for a Masked Marvel!". And then to be able to go to the temple with Aunt Norma. It was such a great day. The feeling of joy and peace when she was sealed to Uncle Al was amazing. I'm so grateful I was able to be a part of that.

Aunt Norma was an incredible woman. I will miss her!

No comments: