Monday, May 26, 2008

Time to Play Catch-up: Part 2 - The Count's Retirement

I barely made it home from New York in time for Dad's retirement from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Again, the Lord was watching over me. My flight from Buffalo to JFK was delayed because of a faulty part. I literally had to run to my connecting gate. I got there as they announced the final boarding call - about to pee my pants. There was a bathroom right next to my gate with a line of about 20 ladies. I bypassed the line, walked into the restroom and plead my case (I don't even like to join a friend already in line!) But all of the women were extremely nice and understanding and let me take the next stall. I'm sure no one there will ever see this - but "Thank you!!" anyway. So, I barely made my plane. But I did make it - and without having an accident!

I had written home to my family that I was amazed by how much the Lord helped me while I was in NY. With my health problems, I need at least 9-10 hours of sleep per night to function and I ran on about 5 per night the entire 15 days I was there. I also wrote home that I was very concerned that I'd get home Saturday night and totally crash and not be able to go to Dad's final broadcast Sunday morning. I asked them to please keep the prayers coming. I facetiously asked them to pray for me to stay conscious until 2:00 Sunday afternoon.

Dad's final broadcast was wonderful. A lot of people came to support him. It's really weird that he's not in the choir anymore. He sang with the choir for 20 years - almost 2/3 of my life so far! He's sung with Angela Lansbury, Sissel, Josh Groban, The Kings' Singers, Audra McDonald, Bryn Terfel, and many others. He sang at the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter 2002 Olympics. He's traveled all across the world with choir, singing in: Brazil, Australia, Jerusalem, almost every country in Europe, Russia, and all across the United States.

We had a luncheon at our house afterwards. I had a great morning being with extended family and friends. As I was sitting out on our deck chatting, I just got hit suddenly with exhaustion. I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer! I looked at the clock and it was 2:15! I couldn't complain!! Apparently the Lord took my email literally and carried me through to my specified time. I had to laugh. And then I had to go down and find my wonderful bed.

1 comment:

sweet mama entropy said...

I'm going to miss looking for your dad in conference every six months. Seeing him always made me smile (and made me realize how much I miss you)! Plus my kids thought it was cool that I knew someone on tv :)