Tuesday, November 11, 2008

30 Days of Thanksgiving #11

Happy Birthday, AngelFish!

Today I am grateful for my beautiful sister AngelFish! I am grateful that she is in my family and that we are sisters. When AngelFish was born, we were trying to sell our house and build a new one in Farmington. My grandparents were on a mission and we were staying in their house in Farmington. Of course, things never work out the way you plan! My grandparents came home early for health reasons and we never were able to sell our house (we found out later that our dear next door nieghbor, Grandma Dot, prayed that we wouldn't leave - she really has an "in"!) So, when AngelFish was just a few weeks old (and I was 3 1/2 years old) we were moving back in to our house. Mom was unpacking boxes in the kitchen and AngelFish started to cry in the other room. She decided to let AngelFish cry for a few minutes so she could finish the box she was working on and after a minute or two, the crying stopped. When she went in to check on AngelFish, I was sitting on the floor rocking AngelFish and singing to her. I am grateful for that new little sister who awoke my mothering instincts and was patient enough to let a 3 year old practice mothering!

I am grateful for AngelFish's courage to accept a mission call to serve in Russia. She is strong in her testimony of the gospel and is strong in her determination to do what's right. I am grateful for that example.

I really think that our age difference is a very awkward one. It always seemed that I was going through a crabby/difficult phase when AngelFish wanted to be friends and by the time I grew out of it, she was going through a crabby/difficult phase and didn't want to be friends. (Although I'm pretty sure I had much more crabby/difficult phases than she did!). I am grateful that AngelFish was patient with me and never gave up on being friends. I am grateful that I've had the opportunity as an adult to really work on having a good relationship with my sister and that she's forgiven me for all of the rotten things I did when we were younger! I am so grateful for sisters who are also friends. I am grateful for the love and support we offer each other.

No comments: