Wednesday, November 12, 2008

30 Days of Thanksgiving #12

I am grateful for my physical body.

I have had to learn how to make that statement true many times in my life, including this last week. As I've gone through this healing process, I have been so blessed to be able to come off of several medications. Last week, I was brave enough to come off of another medication that I've been taking for several years. There were some pretty good benefits to taking this medication, and I have been very worried about some of the side effects of not taking it anymore. But there were some pretty yucky side effects from taking the medication and I knew that it was time. My body was strong enough and ready to come off it. I just wasn't sure if I was emotionally ready. I decided to choose faith instead of fear.

This weekend was kind of rough - but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I just felt drained (hence the need to play catch-up on this blog!). I am grateful that I did not "fall apart" (which is really what I was dreading) and that while I did have some pain, it was very manageable pain. I am very grateful that I was able to make this transition and for the love and support of my family while I did.

Then on Monday, I went for my yearly full body mole check (one of the joys of being fair skinned!). The doctor wanted to remove a couple of moles that seemed irregular - just to be on the safe side. One was on the bottom of my foot - the one connected to the ankle I sprained a couple of months ago - so walking has been a treat! The other one, for some reason, decided not to clot - and kept bleeding all night. I went back to the doctor yesterday and they painted it with some sort of liquid iron. Weird, but it worked. I am grateful for doctors who know what they're doing. I am also grateful for my Gorgeous Grandma who provided some much needed comic relief. She thought I said that I had a full body "mold" check! Apparently she's concerned that I'm growing moldy :)

Sometimes it feels like my body is at war with itself, like it is an angsty and rebellious teenager! Sometimes it is hard to be grateful for a body that has so many struggles. But I am grateful for the gentle reminders from the Spirit that this physical body was created in God's image - that one of the main purposes for coming to this earth was to gain a physical body. I wrote an article for the New Era on this very subject - and I still find myself needing to relearn it. But I am grateful for that opportunity.

I am grateful for the opportunity to have stewardship over my physical elements. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn how to lead them to exist peacefully and healthily. I am grateful for the knowledge the Lord has blessed me with in regard to my health. I am grateful that He led me to try BodyTalk and for the relief and answers I've found because of it.

I am grateful for my body.

1 comment:

keri said...

Julie, your blog is inspiring. I read your New Era article too. It's so interesting to reconnect with old friends and see who we've become. I also realize how little you really know about what is on the inside some times. I had no idea you felt that way about yourself in high school. I never once looked at you and thought you were 'big'. I'm happy that your health is improving and grateful to have you back in my life.

Keri